Tuesday, September 8, 2009

With Every Season ....

OK, although Labor Day weekend is not technically the end of summer and autumn is still a bit away, we all think of it as the time to pack away our white pants and leashes, and pull out our more earthy toned garb.

This September is the first time in a while that I don't have any races on the fall schedule so I took the opportunity to take a leisurely run across the George Washington Bridge to NJ and back. Too late for it to be really hot. One week to early to see the ships sail up the Hudson. Still not foliage change. Seems like I blew it, except that it was really cool. I would have taken pictures but alas and alack, no camera, no blackberry, just me, nature, some bike riders and about a thousand cars, hanging out above the river. The view was great, you'll just have to take my word for it. Cookie, bless her heart, stayed back in Washington Heights with her sister. Didn't think her little legs were up to the trip, although she would have been game for at least part of the journey.

Next weekend, it's off to the Catskills. Yes it is still too early to see the leaves change color, and no, there is still no race on my calender. However, it is the inaugural weekend of Canine Club Getaway. A weekend vacation for people and their dogs. I'm going to be the camp doctor and my wife is coming along for moral support. It should be interesting at the very least. I'm giving a lecture on canine first aid and running a fitness evaluation clinic. We will also be doing a microchip clinic and screening for Heartworm, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, and Lyme disease. These are all insect borne diseases that we see hear on long Island.

Heartworm is spread my mosquitoes. I don't need to tell you what the wet spring meant for mosquito populations in our neck of the woods. Heck, they are bigger than some of the dogs I saw in the office today.

The others are tick borne, also a pest that seems to have enjoyed a growth explosion, exploiting what ever weather change it is that they like.

Anyway, I will be micro blogging on twitter all weekend with plenty of photos. Follow me at www.twitter.com/knvet for up to the minute details. Next week, I'll post a detailed synopsis of what went on, complete with 8 x 10 color photographs with descriptions of each on.

Keith Nisenbaum, VMD
www.CrawfordDogandCatHospital.com
wwwTheVetsChoice.com

No comments: