Monday, July 19, 2010

You are what you eat, they are what we feed them

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the feed back that I received for the last blog series. Maybe there is something to this whole series concept. People that are not related to me actually sent me suggestions for topics and I wrote about them. I whole new experience for me, positive feedback from the blogisphere.

Now I've made this mistake before. As rush chairman at Penn Iota chapter of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity in the late 70's I did sign off on a series of theme parties that went from the very successful Hawaiian themed rush kick off, to the disastrous "Come Get Mugged", beer mug give away, (those of you that were there will remember that we ended up with hundreds of leftover beer mugs), I'm still going to give this theme thing a go.

So, I would like to write a series of posts on nutrition and the treatment of disease. We use nutritional therapy as a stand alone for certain conditions and as a adjunct therapy along with medicine and surgery for others. Sometimes just diet changes, sometimes supplements. There is a whole lot of misinformation out there. People are making recommendations that are not based in science. Alot of these people want to sell you something. Some of them are just misinformed, Some are just parroting things that misinformed people from the previous sentence told them. Others are just silly.

I'm going to try to limit my discussions to things that the general scientific community knows to be true. I will offer my opinion when I feel it is appropriate, but will tell you when it is my opinion. I will try to provide references when I can to support my statements, and I will try to make them independent or at least independently corroborated when I can.

So what do I want from you dear readers? Well, I'd love you to keep reading. I would also like it if you could send me some subjects that interest you. Disease conditions your pet's have that are being managed with nutrition or that you would like to manage with nutrition; things that you have heard that you would like to know more about; things that have worked for your pets and things that have not worked. I'll do some research, see what I can find out, and then post. You are free to comment, but I'll cut you off at the knees if your comments are just sales pitches to my readers.

Now this may sound like an excuse, but some of these posts will take some serious thought. So, there may be a bit of a lag between them. No, I'm not getting lazy during the height of my triathlon training season, I just want to bring you quality information along with my entertaining wit.

So let me know what you want to read about and we'll get started. I announce my new posts on twitter , so feel free to follow. If the whole twitter thing is too much for you to deal with (I mean who likes to tweet anyway), become a fan on facebook, I announce my posts there as well. It is also a great source of information and cute pet pictures, if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

DawgBlogger said...

I would love an article on negative impact of vaccines. So much controversy it's been risen about that, and some of it seems to make very good sense.

For example, why so many re-vaccinations when humans get their vaccines once and that is that?

Why on Earth (in both cases?) we inject our pets with solutions containing mercury?

Many people are linking over-vaccination to number of diseases, including cancer ...

How safe do you believe vaccines really are and do they really need a booster annually why human don't?

Keith Niesenbaum, VMD said...

This topic, while not dealing with nutrition, wellness and disease, is one that I find to be emotionally charged. I think that it needs to be addressed, because only through education, can rational decisions be made. Let me finish with a couple of the nutrition articles that I have in the pipe line then we can turn to vaccines. I will say that in my 26 years of practice, I have seen more animals die of preventable illness than from vaccine associated reactions. The key is to base vaccine protocols on individual pet's, their lifestyles, and their risk factors for disease. Then using science, not emotion, make the correct decision for your pets. Remember, just because someone says something over and over again, it doesn't make it true. This applies to all sorts of topics, including the "horrors" of vaccines.