Monday, March 2, 2009

The Youth of America

So two posts in a week. Must be the bad weather here in New York. Regardless, I had an excellent experience yesterday and I wanted to share with anyone that happens to be out there. No I'm not talking about the run in Riverside Park along the Hudson River, although that was spectacular as well. I'm talking about the New York City Science and Engineerig Fair at City College.

What? you might ask. I know I did when I signed up to judge at the preliminary rounds. Ididn't even know where the campus was (135th street and Amsterdam Ave) That's right, it is Harlem. But boy is it a beautiful campus. http://portal.cuny.edu/portal/site/cuny/index.jsp?front_door=true

There were 400 high school students with science projects on all topics. Some were quite well done, some, not so much. All of the students were very energetic and proud of the work that they had done. I judged animal science projects (6 in all). Makes sense I guess, although next year I might ask if I could do health and medicine. Each student presented their research project, the hypothesis, the experiments they designed, their reults and conclusions. I think I was more nervous than they were. The six projects that I had to judge were all quite good and the kids seemed proud of their accomplishements. The top 25% from each group will advance to the finals later this month. I am going to try to make it to that competition as well and I hope to see the six students that I met there as well.

I don't know if they are accepting judges for this year's finals or not, but if you have a science background you should look into this for next year. http://collegenow.cuny.edu/sciencefair/judges/

Don't forget to check out our practice web page at www.crawforddogandcathospital.com and our on line site at www.petsneedfood.com.

No comments: